SAMISH ISLAND CAMPGROUND & RETREAT CENTER
We are compelled to nurture sacred space and sustain natural beauty with functional simplicity, for those seeking peace, joy, faith and enlightenment, inspiring community and service
About the Campground
Samish Island Campground & Retreat Center is situated on Samish Island and is part of the traditional grounds of the Samish Indian Nation. The Samish Nation inhabited the San Juan Island for many thousands of years. We have a long and positive relationship with the Samish Indian Nation and are honored to be involved with the preservation and protection of the burial site of Chief Harry Samish. For more information on the Samish Indian Nation please visit their History Website linked here.
The campgrounds was established in 1959 and is owned and operated by the Community of Christ. The 87 acres includes open space, forested areas and beaches, offering a unique and serene environment for peace, fellowship and learning in a retreat setting.
The campground and retreat center is available for rent to non-profit groups. Our facilities feature heated cabins for up to 270 guests, ADA accessible 4-plex cabins, a commercial kitchen, banquet seating for up to 200, and a multi-purpose fellowship center with seating for 500. We have an RV park that can accommodate RVs as well as tent camping.
Samish Island Campground & Retreat Center was established in 1959 when Sig and Tora Freestad gave approximately 87 acres of their property on Samish Island to the church (Community of Christ) for the purpose of building a campground. During the 1960s the lake was added to our camp and is aptly name Lake Freestad in honor of Sig and Tora.
Fully equipped and staffed commercial kitchen and banquet seating for 200 people. Multi-purpose dining room with 2 smaller meeting rooms downstairs. There’s a fireplace and seating area on both levels.
- Upper Floor – 3000 Sq Ft
- Lower Floor – 2200 Sq Ft
MULTI-PURPOSE FELLOWSHIP CENTER/GYMNASIUM
Seats 400-500 theater-style, soiund system, stage, podium, grand piano, projector and screen available for use. Building can be used for sports activities such as basketball, volleyball, dodgeball, and other indoor gym activities.
- 6000 Sq Ft
- 45 heated “rustic cabins” with built-in bunks (4-6 per cabin) – 2 bathhouses service the rustic cabins. We are in the process of remodeling our cabins to make them all weather.
- 16 ADA Cabins (4-plex cabins with shared restrooms). Cabins sleep 2-5 per room.
- 2 dormitory cabins with built-in bunks (20 max. per cabin)
- 19 recreational vehicle spaces with full hook-ups
- Many areas available for tents
- 2 campground style restrooms & showers
- First aid cabin (user provides own health care worker if needed)
- Six classroom cabins including two children’s cabins with fenced outdoor play areas
- Meditation Labyrinth
- Outdoor gazebo
- Sports court
- Seven-acre salt water lake (user provides own lifeguard) canoes and life preservers available for use
- Amphitheater / Camp fire area next to the lake
- Camp fire area for gatherings and cooking next to the dining hall
- Outdoor eating spaces around dining hall
- Forest trails and gathering spaces